Jan 2, 2010

Cookie-A-Week 2: Peanut Butter

Nothing reminds me like a trip to the big local shopping mall like a delicious peanut butter cookie. Walking to the food court, approaching that cookie stand, and ordering one of those as-big-as-your-head, flat, golden brown and delicious, warm cookies. The taste is always the same, like swallowing a spoonful of Jiff or Skippy, but without that sticky feeling. As you can probably tell, I love a good peanut butter cookie, so when I was thinking of doing this cookie a week project, I knew peanut butter had to be on the list.
Now this recipe is an extremely good one. The texture of the cookie is spot on, with a slightly crunchy exterior and a soft moist interior. And if you want, the batter is great to mix in chopped nuts or small chocolate pieces (I used chocolate chips, which ended up being fairly large). However, the key to making this recipe is, not surprisingly, the peanut butter.
For all my cookies, Ive been using the best ingredients. Real vanilla, organic and unbleached flours, free range eggs, and as fresh and local ingredients as possible. My local Whole Foods and Farmers Markets have been picked clean of baking items because of my bloodlust for quality. But, if like me, you prefer the flavor of the regular supermarket peanut butter like Jiff or Skippy, USE IT! This is not the recipe to be reaching for that organic/all-natural peanut butter with the oil at the top, unless you like the taste of the peanut butter. I used that kind of peanut butter, and while the cookies were good, they werent the flavor I was looking for. Bottom line, think of peanut butter as wine, dont cook with it if you wouldnt eat it.
PS: I know this entry is extremely late. Life has gotten in the way, and while these entries may end up being sporadic, I am still making cookies. In fact, I have 2 more recipes already stored and ready to type up for you. So sit tight ya'll :]

No comments:

Post a Comment